ZINC, MAGNESIUM AND VITAMIN B6: THE DREAM TEAM
Having restless nights, sore muscles, anxious? Is it affecting your training? ZMA can help. Achieving the recommended Reference Nutrient Intakes (RNI's) for vitamins and minerals while keeping up with the demands of modern-day life can be challenging. A combination of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 within a single ZMA supplement might just be able to help you out. We have enlisted the help and knowledge of Francesca Baker from St Mary’s University Twickenham London to help us further understand the growing interest in ZMA supplementation.
All minerals and vitamins are in competition, they need the right conditions in order for your body to absorb them properly. Some minerals have mutual benefits, while some only counteract each other’s absorption levels (1). Taken in the right doses, hand in hand, magnesium and zinc work to each other’s advantage. While magnesium takes on the role of regulating zinc levels, zinc allows the body to absorb magnesium more effectively. ZMA capsules are simply the most effective way to supplement two very critical minerals: zinc and magnesium.
Zinc is an essential mineral that supports many bodily functions (2). For example, maintenance of strong bones and healthy hair and nails. Zinc cannot be stored by the body, and is lost through sweat and urine, so it is important to get enough zinc on a daily basis to meet the RNI of 9.5mg/day for males and 7mg/day for females (3). Foods high in zinc include meat, shellfish, legumes and seeds. Below are some examples to give you an idea of how much zinc these foods contain:
- Raw ground beef (100g) – 4.8mg
- Medium oysters (100g) – 32mg
- Hemp seeds (100g) – 10mg
Magnesium is a mineral that helps to turn the food we eat into energy. Being deficient in magnesium can make you feel fatigued and lead to increased amounts of broken sleep. Either through food sources or magnesium supplementation, men require 300mg per day and 270mg per day for women. Food sources rich in magnesium include dark chocolate, avocados, nuts and seeds. As a benchmark, examples include:
- Dark (70%) Chocolate (100g) - 500mg
- Pumpkin Seeds (100g) 262mg
- Avocado (100g) - 29mg
Vitamin B6 is utilised by the body to use and store energy from protein and carbohydrates from the food we eat (4). Vitamin B6 is a key contributor to the regulation of hormonal activity. Required in small amounts on a daily basis, the RNI for males is 1.4mg and for females, 1.2mg per day. B6 is widely available from food sources such as pork, poultry and nuts. Some suggestions include:
- Lean Chicken Breast (100g) – 0.9mg
- Lean Pork Chops (100g) – 0.5mg
- Sweet Potatoes (100g) – 0.2mg
ZMA FOR REGULAR EXERCISERS & ATHLETES
A regular gym-goer or professional athlete? ZMA supports training and general well-being. Athletes and professional sportspeople supplement their zinc intake to improve their performance and strength, while others use zinc for muscle cramps and tightness (1). The magnesium within ZMA contributes to the normal functioning of muscle and protein synthesis, helping reach those goals! Vitamin B6 supports normal functioning of the immune system, helping you fight off colds and flu!
- Contains not only magnesium citrate, but also magnesium oxide, contributing to normal muscle and psychological function.
- Includes zinc that aids maintenance of normal testosterone levels, supporting protein synthesis.
- Contains vitamin B6 to support normal functioning of the immune system – so nothing gets in the way of your training!
- It gets better, MAX-ZMA includes herbal extract Ashwagandha within capsules. With relaxation properties, ashwagandha supports the reduction in anxiety and insomnia, working in conjunction with zinc and magnesium (5).
- MAX-ZMA contains 200mg of high quality KSM-66 Ashwagandha in every serving.
- Tailored to both male and female needs, suggested serving sizes include: 3 capsules daily for males reaches advised RNIs and beyond. For females it's 2 capsules per day, this will achieve the suggested RNIs and more.
BEFORE YOU HEAD TO BED
There really are brilliant benefits for everyone when those RNI’s for zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 are met. Ensuring our body makes the most of the food we eat by sufficiently turning it into energy is essential, not forgetting that looking after our immune system health is vital to manage the demands of modern-day life. MAX-ZMA capsules make it so easy for us to maintain sufficient levels of three essential vitamins and minerals, as well as feel a sense of inner calm from added ashwagandha – it’s a no brainer!