Elite rugby players are usually set a daily protein target to help them develop and maintain muscle mass, which is around 2.5 to 3g of protein per kilo of body weight. For someone like Chris Robshaw who weighs over 110kg, this is around 275g of protein per day, which is a substantial amount.
Protein shakes and smoothies are an integral part of a rugby player’s daily routine, as they provide supplemental high-quality protein that can be consumed on the go. With a little imagination you can mix things up to add a range of ingredients that will liven up your average protein shake; here’s Chris Robshaw’s personal favourite.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 2 scoops vanilla Promax
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 banana, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Put all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend all the ingredients together until your smoothie reaches your desired consistency and serve.