A hearty gluten- and wheat-free pie to warm up those winter evenings. This recipe is simple and easy with a layer of gluten-free shortcrust pastry to cover the creamy chicken filling which is oozing with flavour from the parsley, tarragon and garlic.
Recipe provided by Lucinda at bakesbooksandmyboys.com
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 400g chicken breast fillets diced
- 1 medium courgette chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- (any other veg – we included broccoli & marrow)
- 500ml gluten free chicken stock
- 2 tbsp gluten free corn flour
- 5g chopped fresh parsley
- 5g chopped fresh tarragon
- 400g gluten free short crust pastry
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C /180°C fan.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add in garlic and diced chicken. Stir for 5 mins or until browned.
- Add the courgette, carrot & potato and any other vegetables. Cook for 3 mins. Add 250ml of stock to the pan.
- Place cornflour & 125ml of stock in a bowl. Stir to a paste.
- Add in the remaining stock and stir in to cooked chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Bring to the boil and the reduce heat and simmer for 5 min or until sauce is just thickened.
- Stir through chopped herbs. Pour the mixture in an oven proof pie dish.
- Roll pastry out on a lightly floured surface until large enough to cover dish. Place pastry over filling and pinch edges to seal. Brush with egg.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until pastry is golden. Stand for 5 minutes to cool and serve.