Impress your family and friends with these rich and velvety mini treats made from avocados, almonds, cashew nuts and coconut oil. The best thing about them is how easy they are to make and that the avocado and lime is full of Vitamin C! All you need is a food processor/blender, moulds or cake tin and a freezer!
To shape, use silicon cupcake moulds to shape into perfect round mini pies. You can use any type of mould you like. Otherwise you can use an 8” cake tin to make one big key lime pie instead.
Makes 12 mini pies or one 18” pie.
- ½ cup (60g) oat flour – make your own by blending plain oats in a food processor/blender into a fine flour
- ½ cup (52g) ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1.5 tbsp honey – or any type of liquid sweetener
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup raw cashews – soaked in water for at least 8 hours or overnight
- 1/3 cup (5 tbsp) coconut oil
- 1/3 cup (5 tbsp) honey – or any type of liquid sweetener
- 1 ripe avocado
- Zest of 3 limes
- Juice of 5 limes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl, mix together the oat flour, ground almonds and salt.
- Add the melted coconut oil and honey and mix until you have a fine crumbly mixture.
- Distribute the mixture evenly between your moulds and then press down firmly with your fingers.
- Place in the freezer while you make the filling (about 30 minutes).
For the filling
- Drain and rinse your soaked cashews and then place them in a food processor or powerful blender.
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and add to the food processor along with the coconut oil, honey, lime juice, lime zest, vanilla and salt.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth, creamy and lump free.
- Take the base out of the freezer and top with the key lime mixture.
- Place back in the freezer to set for a few hours.
- Top with whipped coconut cream, fresh lime slices and lime zest.
- Store in the freezer and take them out 20 minutes before serving to allow the mini pies to soften a little.
For the base
Recipe provided by Nadia at Nadiashealthykitchen.com